Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Home From The Emergency Vet

This is what Leo looked like when he came home from the emergency Vet on April 23rd, 2008.

Poor guy. As if he hadn't been through enough poking and prodding, head being shaved and needles stuck into his spine he now had to wear this cone to make sure he didn't lick or bite his scrotum and open up the new stiches where this clinic fixed the botched neutering that Murray Hill Hospital performed, which left him leaking blood.

Leo wasn't very happy having to wear this cone. And he smelled terrible because he could not clean himself.

But he was incredibly happy to not be in a cage and have a bed to sleep on. He nuzzled into me and wouldn't leave my side. As smelly as he was I allowed this of course.

The following morning I took his cone off to let him bathe a little. But I had to follow him around and make him stop each time he went near his scrotum. He was not too happy about this and would growl at me. After about an hour of the cone being off, I would put it back on and go to work. At night I would do the same thing, taking the cone off for an hour to allow him to bathe himself and then putting it back on again so that we could both go to sleep.

He wore the cone until the following Monday, April 28. On Tuesday when I arrived home from work I found that he had gotten into a bag of dry cat food and spilled it all over the floor. He did this even though I left him a bowl of food and water. I chalked this up to him still being a kitten.

I removed that bag after cleaning up and put it away from where he could get to it.

Then I started to notice some odd things about Leo's behavior. He would be sitting alone yet his tail was swishing maniacally. Always a loud meower he began meowing in that way more often. And here and there if I walked by him he would swipe his paws at me and meow.

On Wed. I came home and found that Leo had torn into another bag of dry food that was sealed and had a plastic grocery bag tied around it to keep it closed. There were bites everywhere.

Again I had left out ample food and water.

Up until this point Leo would allow me to pick him up.

I picked him up and he gave me lots of kisses and then out of nowhere he bit my chin.

During these past few days I began to research holistic treatments to calm Leo down. I wrote letters which I faxed over to my Vet. that I have used for many many years in confidence regarding my concerns and asking for advice. But I had not brought Leo in to them yet.

I found information about a lesser-known condition called FHS. Leo had already exhibited so many of the signs.


Thursday night after work I came home to find my comforter that I had for 17 years and which my other cat had recently passed away on, to be completely torn up.

I realized that moment that there was something very wrong with Leo and I rushed him to my Vet in Queens immediately.

My Vet. observed Leo's behavior and prescribed Elavil and Phenobarbital. Both types of medications are the medical protocal listed for FHS.

While at my Vet's office I immediately called Siobhan from Animal Alliance. I told her that this kitty has a mood disorder and that she needed to find him another home. She told me that she would probably not be able to find him another adoption considering the situation and that a sanctuary was probably his only option and she was unsure that she could provide this. But she said she would try to cover the bill from that particular night.

Siobhan informed me on that call that if I gave Leo back that he would immediately go to a shelter downtown and be put in a cage and that if he could not find placement of some kind by the end of 7 days, he would probably be euthenized.

I took Leo home with one weeks worth of Elavil and one months worth of Phenobarbital and $70 less in my bank account.

The next morning I wrote to Siobhan the following:

Hello Siobhan,

As you know this decision has not been an easy one for me and has not been made in haste.

I cannot keep this little boy. This is just not what I agreed to adopt. I feel terrible that I feel this way. He has been in my home just over a week and it is not easy even with all his problems to just turn a cat back.

Last night I arrived home to my comforter destroyed. His condition which NYC Vet. would not diagnose is a mood disorder and he is agressive without proper medication. I rushed him to see my Vet to start him on proper medications. This cost me $70 for the visit and the medications. I was given one weeks worth of Elavil (10mgs) for the mood disorder which he started last night which cost $7.50 and one months worth of pehnobarbital tabs 1/4gr that cost $7.50. My Vet is not sure if that pheno is at the correct level so we estimate this is one months worth. The medication costs in itself it not that expensive.

We believe that he suffers from FHS. I have read that with proper mood medications after three weeks the symptoms are supposed to decrease by 50% and after 6-8 it should go down to 90%.

However, I cannot keep him. Here is what I am willing to do and I hope since he was originally taken in by your organization I have a solid partner in this effort.

I am willing to (if the medications work properly so that he is calm during this initial week at all times) keep him past this initial week, for the following two weeks so that he can have the time needed to let the medications work as all the websites state.

I wish to give Leo every chance at a Sanctuary accepting his admission for the remainder of his natural life. If we can show evidence that medications do indeed work for him I feel it will be easier for you to convince your contacts to take him.

I am willing to personally drive Leo to any Sanctuary on LI, Southern CT and most parts of NJ. This should also help find a place that will take a kitty with his special needs, as it opens the possibilities more.

In return I ask that it is 100% guarenteed that he not be put to sleep and be allowed to live the remainder of his natural life and that his name not be changed. The folks that take him must be fully informed of his condition and understand that he must be on medication for the rest of his life, each day and agree to take on this responsibility.

When I adopted him from Kitty Kind, at no time and in no paperwork did it ever state he had a mood disorder. I was only informed that he had a neurological condition that gave him a tick and that in fact he was sweet and loving and that he had a clean bill of health. I would have never adopted him knowing what I do today. And I suspect that he will not be adoptable to anyone else now either. His only resource is a no kill sanctuary that is willing to take care of him.

Please advise immediately on these matters.

Please understand that this is extremely hard for me and brings tears to my eyes as I write to you today.

I sent a photo along with that email to help make it easier to sell the idea of adoption to her contacts. Leo is adorable!


2 comments:

Jessica said...

So sorry about all of this. It really puts you in a tough spot. You are trying to do the right thing for Leo, and it seems like Siobhan is trying to guilt trip you into keeping him. It's crazy. Of course you're not going to let Leo be killed at the shelter;I'm just worried they won't be actively looking for a place for him. They shouldn't leave that up to you too.

Hope the meds work for him. Poor Leo. :(

LifeOfLeo said...

Hi Jessica, thanks for coming to this blog and reading all the long posts.

Believe it or not there is so much more to this story. I think your jaw is going to drop when I write the rest. I just didn't want to overwhelm everyone by putting it all up yet.

Trust me it gets worse!