Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Living with Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome

I have heard the following from the rescue organizations that are now trying to build a case against me and blame me for Leo's symptoms: we never saw this while he was in our care, we never heard of FHS before, he was only sweet while in our care, you just want to drug a cat.

The following is information from catchannel.com

Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome (FHS) (also called “rolling skin syndrome”) is a condition that usually appears in cats between the ages of 1 and 4. Siamese and other Asian breeds have a higher prevalence of this syndrome. This would be one explaination of why no one from the rescue agencies saw these behaviors in Leo before he was in my care, where they have been clearly observed by me as well as visitors to my home and my Veterinarian. Another explaination would be that he lived in a tiny cage for three weeks so that symptoms such as meowing would be considered normal and a sign of simply wanting to be let out of his cage, he obviously couldn't run around or be aggressive with anyone while in a tiny cage either.

There is no test to diagnose FHS. A diagnosis of FHS is made after other causes of the clinical signs are excluded by diagnostic tests, and by a positive response to treatment. Blood tests and other diagnostic tests will likely be necessary to rule out medical causes that may be confused with FHS, including hyperthyroidism, parasitic skin infections, skin allergies, etc. Again, Leo has undergone a CAT scan, spinal tap, and full blood work and everything else has been ruled out.

No one knows exactly what causes FHS, but there are a few possible explanations. It may be a type of seizure activity, and the fact that some affected cats respond to anti-convulsant medication seems to support this explanation. Leo was on anti-seizure medication and it seemed to be helping him a lot. However there was so much accusation from the rescue agency about the possible damage this mediaction could do to his liver with this type of standard medication for this syndrome that I discussed with my Vet. stopping it and observing Leo over the course of the next few weeks to see if he can continue to progress without it. He is also on anti-obsessional medication. At this time he is no longer taking the anti-seizure medication.

Effective anti-obsessional drugs include clomipramine (clomicalm) and fluoxetine (Prozac). Be aware that it might take 3 or 4 weeks for an initial response to the drug. By 16 weeks, the full effect of the drug should be known. When anti-obsessional therapy is ineffective or only marginally effective, try anti-convulsants. The first drug to try in cats is usually Phenobarbital. Leo was on phenobarbital, but again I have been accussed over and over verbally by the rescue agency of putting Leo's liver in jeopardy and just medicating him to get the cat I want.


I have been thinking a lot about the condition Leo has. As an energy worker (reiki) I can scan his body with my hands and feel the areas that are out of balance. I often notice that his stomach is hot when I scan that area, as well as his extremities. I have since read from other people that their cats are very sensitive to touch in those areas as well. Leo is also very sensitive to being touched anywhere besides head and neck, which he loves to have scratched.

I believe that FHS is similar to Fibromyalgia in humans.

Please see the post directly below this as well.


2 comments:

InRepose said...

If you were *only* some wacko who wants only to drug cats, then why would you be looking for monetary support for health care from these folks?

That makes no sense.

I think the best thing you can do would be to post/submit an official letter from YOUR vet about this condition

Unknown said...

My cat Bella has had hyperesthesia for 5 years. Her seizures are worsened by the barometric changes in weather, overstimulation by playing with my other cat and loud noises. I am not as likely to open my windows when it's in a rainy phase outdoors. She has all the usual symptoms of skin rolling, excessive cleaning, dilated pupils, she sees things and runs around when she is having an attack. I pick her up gently and put her on my lap and rub the top of her head in a circular motion until her brain becomes quieted and she calms down. Cats will purr even when they are in pain. I took her to an herbalist for animals 5 years ago and he gave me a bottle of Tasha's Herbs for cats. This particular remedy is called 'Easy Does It' It's a great combination of flower essences ( skullcap, passionflower,chamomile,cod liver oil,vitamin E, lecithin and flower essences) and it has been very helpful for Bella. Her disorder isn't completely gone but it is under control enough for her to have good life. She started out at 15 drops every 4 hours and within the first year or 2 worked her way down to 10 drops every 6 hours. I think this is the best she will be able to do. The herbalist said it may over time reverse her disorder. I highly recommend this supplement as there are no side effects, you will come to know what is the exact dose for your cat very quickly. There is also a mixture made for dogs that is equally effective. You can contact the company at Coyote Springs Naturals, Inc...Prescott, Arizona 83603 (or call 1-800-315-0142)..there is no website on the bottle. One more thing about Bella...over time she has come to understand that when she's having an attack, often she instinctively knows to lay herself down and try to quiet herself. I also NEVER pet her below her shoulder blades. She's a pretty happy little girl thanks to this combo. I would like to recommend to you an herbalist for animals here in Chicago. His name is Michael Durkin and he's brilliant in his treatments of pets. His store is owned by him and his wife, it's called "Wag Your Tail" He's always willing to talk to you about your particular issues. His number is 773-202-0391. They do mail order shipping. Good Luck to all of you and I hope this helps!